Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Quantum Jumping


Ever stumble onto something that totally consumes your brain? I did, and I’ve smoldered my way through every rusty synapse I've ever owned.

I heard someone use the phrase ‘quantum jumping’ while listening to NPR. That was my first mistake. I whupped out my trusty computer and Googled the snot out of ‘quantum jumping.’

I haven’t slept well since then.

I won’t bother you with all the stuff I don’t understand, but here’s the Reader’s Digest version the fragments I do understand.


Quantum physics allows for the existence of an infinite number of parallel universes. Start thinking String Theory right about here.

Apparently, somewhere out there amongst all those universes, there are an infinite number of you and me.

The wrinkle is, that although they are us, they differ in some way. Perhaps a little, perhaps only slightly—but they are still us.

It’s going to get too confusing for me to try to add or include everyone in this, so forgive me if I use myself as the guinea pig.

The theory suggests that the me who’s typing this blog, has arrived at my state of elderly senility, via the thousands of choices I have made in my life. I get that part.

All the other ‘me’s’ out there, arrived at their present state of being, via the choices they made. I get that too. The horizon starts getting a little fuzzy as the theory suggests that I am all the other me’s, and they are me.


I couldn’t get this, until I realized that I am left handed and play the guitar, so there must be someone (me) out there who is an exact duplicate, but is right handed. The mud became a little clearer.

According to the theory, I became who I am by listening to the sage advice of those who told me to ‘straighten up,’ ‘grow up,’ listen up,’ and latch onto some realistic goals, as opposed to the dreams of my childhood.

Each time I listen and acted on the advice given, I turned another choice farther away from what I might have been. Apparently the other me’s didn’t take the advise and ended up where they are.

Maybe the coolest part of this theory rests in the ‘fact’ that I can jump into another dimension, and learn everything that dimension’s me has to offer, then jump back here and use the newly found knowledge. It seems the theory not only supports some parts of the String Theory, but offers the possibility to retrace the life-path.


Do I believe all this? Not really. I do know there are some folks on the internet selling the program, and from that perspective, it looks a little slimy. All I know is that the idea is intriguing. For whatever reason, this is an illustration they use to emphasize the theory/scam.


They included a photograph of Al, too.




Do you ever get a song stuck in your head, and can’t stop mentally singing it? My wife told me that if you tell someone about the song, the compulsion to sing it is implanted in their mind, and freed from yours.




I’m sleepy and have beaten the Quantum Jumping tune to death.

It’s yours now.

I need a nap.


(oh, yeah, some other me, in another dimension, spelled every word correctly, got all the text-wrapping to work, and figured out how to put some music to this posting.)

No comments:

Post a Comment