Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 24, 2013

The Birthday Girl







     It has to be a pretty amazing thing to end your chemo/radiation therapies for breast cancer on your birthday. A truly amazing thing, but my daughter, Rebecca, has amazed me her entire life. She has shown unblinking courage and personal commitment during the entire process, and has been an inspiration to so very, very many people.


     There were a few setbacks, but for every obstacle, there were dozens of her friends to lend the support and love she needed. There were also incredibly generous and tender offerings and words of encouragement from total strangers. 


      After publishing an article on my blog, describing her ordeal and the way her husband and sons stepped up, I was inundated with emails, messages and notes of encouragement from dozens of states, and 21 countries, including Russia, China, Austria, Canada, India and Argentina.
     
     People from around the globe spent their time, their money, and their love, offering support to a young woman, in the fight of her life.



     Years ago, Hillary Clinton took an incredible amount of heat for suggesting that, at times, it may take a village to raise a child. If you are reading these words, you know me. If you’re reading these words, you played a part in supporting my daughter, and her family, during a time of great uncertainty and fear.

I'm not sure if it's a village or a herd. but, either way, 
you are certainly a welcome addition.

     I am normally pretty good at making myself understood. For the life of me, I simply cannot conger up the words and phrases necessary to say thank you to so many people, for being such an such a crucial part of the supportive network which saw Becky through this ordeal.

All I can say is thank you, God bless you, and welcome to the village.



(At times, things are a little different here)


No comments:

Post a Comment